American Heart Association Instructor Training Courses

Thank you for your interest in becoming an American Heart Association instructor. We have outlined the steps and costs below. PLEASE NOTE: YOU MUST REGISTER FOR A BLS PROVIDER AND/OR HEARTSAVER AED & FIRST AID COURSE PRIOR TO THE INSTRUCTOR COURSE DATE (depending on which discipline(s) you plan to teach). (Call us at 301-681-4300 or email to to let us know the dates you would like to register for).
After reviewing this information, please call us at either 301-681-4300 if you have any questions.
You may also email us at

Currently, CASE does not have any direct teaching opportunities. If you are interested in becoming an instructor, you may affiliate under our company, but will need your own students. It will be your responsibility to market and advertise, as well as to secure equipment and training location(s). There is always a possibility of opportunities arising to teach with our classes in the future, but for now this is the situation.

Please note that there is only one AHA Instructor Course for teaching CPR classes. However, there are two types of CPR Training Courses:
1. Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider
2. Heartsaver CPR and First Aid (for lay responders)

BLS instructors can teach healthcare providers such as physicians, nurses, paramedics, EMT’s, Certified Nursing Assistants, physician assistants, residents, medical/nursing students, aides, respiratory/physical/occupational therapists and other allied health personnel.

Heartsaver instructors ­­­­­can teach firefighters, police, airline personnel, security guards, lifeguards, fitness instructors/personal trainers, family members of patients at high risk for cardiac arrest and other lay rescuers who may need to respond.

A C.A.S.E. instructor who wants to teach either or both courses, must first take a provider class and be monitored teaching with C.A.S.E. for each desired discipline (we understand that you may have taken the provider course before at another location, however we require that you take this with us to prove your instructor potential). This will be discussed below.

If you are interested in becoming an instructor, please follow the steps below:

1. Sign up for the Instructor Class (there is only one Instructor class- it is the same for HS and BLS). You can also email us with your information (name, address and phone number) and which discipline you plan to teach and we can sign you up. The cost of the instructor course is $200.

2. Sign up for a date to take a C.A.S.E. offered provider course for the discipline(s) you wish to teach. You must complete the provider course(s) prior to the date of the instructor class. You must successfully complete the written test and a skills demonstration, and you
will receive a new/renewed provider card at the end of this class.
* The cost for the BLS Provider Course is normally $88 including the manual; your fee will be $25, plus $13.25 for the student manual.
* The cost for the Heartsaver CPR/First Aid Provider Courses is normally $103 including the manual, your fee will be $60, this price includes the student manual.

3. Complete the Essentials online course (either for BLS or Heartsaver, or both) depending on which disciplines you plan to teach. You must purchase and complete these courses via: (under the “find a course” drop-down menu, choose “Instructor Training”). You must bring your certificate(s) of completion to your instructor course date.

3. After those three steps have been completed you can attend the instructor class.

Items required for the Instructor class are:
1. BLS Provider or Heartsaver AED CPR card from C.A.S.E
2. Laptop or tablet
3. Your student provider manual(s)                                                                                                                                                                                           4. Your online Essentials course certificate(s)
5. A calendar to write down observation and teaching dates

Training Center Affiliation Requirements

All American Heart Association Instructors are required to have a sponsoring training center to affiliate with after they complete the instructional portion of their candidacy.  If you are affiliating with C.A.S.E., you will fill out an instructor application at the Instructor Class. If you are going to be affiliating with another training center, you and your sponsoring training center must complete the American Heart Association Instructor Candidate Application. You must have this completed form prior to taking the course and must provide a copy at the beginning of the first session.

There are minimum teaching requirements to maintain your instructor status.  Therefore, each instructor should have a plan to obtain teaching opportunities.  Some training centers hire instructors to teach directly for them.  You may also be teaching for your employer.  In either case, you will need to have enough classes per year. (2 to 3 classes per year depending on training center rules). CPR AED and Safety Education (CASE) does not have any instructor employment opportunities at this time.  However, we welcome affiliation of instructors who will be teaching for employers or who have a business place for entrepreneurial business opportunities.  CASE requires all instructors to teach a minimum of 3 classes per year of at least 3 students each.  Courses of less than three students count as half teaching credits.

If you are affiliating with a training center other than C.A.S.E., you must submit the completed affiliation paperwork on the day of the Instructor course. The document is called Instructor Candidate Application. Some of it will be filled out by the Training Center you will be affiliating with. Make sure to do this before the instructor course and bring it with you. The link to access it is Program Administration Manual.
After the completion of the instructor course, we will submit your course completion with us to the Training center you will be affiliating with. They will be responsible for your observation, monitoring and teaching process.

Professional Liability Coverage Requirement

Instructors who intend to affiliate with CPR AED and Safety Education, must show proof of coverage of Professional Liability Insurance as a CPR instructor.  If you will only be teaching for an employer, the employer may already provide this coverage and you would need to submit documentation to that effect.  If you intend to teach outside of your employment, you will need to purchase your own coverage.  Costs vary depending on previous teaching experience, if you are a healthcare provider, and if you are a member of a professional organization.  Be prepared to pay $70 to $150 per year with the majority of the costs on the lower end. Most of our instructors use Lockton:

After you complete the course

1. We require that you observe a minimum of 2 classes before you can be monitored. You may schedule more classes until you are comfortable to teach.  When you are ready to teach, you will be monitored teaching an entire course. If you are a BLS and HS instructor, you will need to observe and be monitored teaching both courses. You are required to complete your observation and monitoring within 6 weeks of your instructor course. At the end of your student teaching, you will be expected to know the skills at an instructor level proficiency. A skills examination will be provided as a final check off as an instructor. Upon successful completion, you will then be issued your instructor card.  If you will be teaching for a company, you must make;arrangements for a CASE training center faculty to come and monitor you at your location for an additional $150. At this time, the CASE faculty member will check your facility for proper manikin use, storage and assess the decontamination policy.

2. Start teaching
Important Considerations:

To be an AHA instructor requires a significant commitment.  There are annual requirements besides teaching that include skills checks and QA monitoring.  In addition, the AHA updates its guidelines and curriculum and this requires instructors to complete additional training.  Good instructors teach a lot and take the time to be aware of the science of why we teach what we teach.  This requires lots of reading and self-educating on your own time.  Please consider these details when deciding to make your commitment.

In order to teach, you must have equipment.  This equipment is expensive.  If you have an employer that is providing you with this equipment, you need to make sure that they are willing to make the investment.  If you intend to teach on your own, then you need to consider the costs.  C.A.S.E. does rent equipment at reasonable rates to instructors.

CASE instructors are required to teach a minimum of 6 classes per year of at least a 3 to 1 student to instructor ratio.  Classes of less than 3 students will count as a half credit.  You must also be monitored teaching at least once per year.  Monitoring by TC Faculty can be arranged for free during CASE Scheduled classes.  Monitoring offsite at your classes will cost $150.